Saturday, May 8, 2010

Artist's Statement

So I have been doing some research on how to write an Artist Statement, there is a lot of criteria I did not even know to include or not to include in the statement. Like it should be simple, and short, about 1 page in length consisting of about 3 to 5  paragraphs. The idea behind the statement is to entice the readers interest into wanting to view your artwork and to tell not a story about your life, but a story about your art and why you create it.
Below is a list of what to include in your Artist Statement.
  • Why do you create your art? 
  • What influences or inspires you?
  • What materials do you use to create your works of art?
  • What is your process or method in creating your works of art?
  • What techniques do you use to create your works of art?
  • What are your future goals?
So here is what I came up with so far for my Artist Statement....


Ever since I can remember, I have always had some artist's tool in my hand, whether it was a crayon at the age 5 in kindergarten, or a paintbrush at the age of 17 in high school,  I have always had a passion to draw and paint subjects I love. My passion stems from my mother and uncle, who taught me at a very young age, the world of art, and from there it continued to blossom and grow. That passion continued to grow all the way through my college years and continues to bloom and grow. I am constantly inspired by everything around me, from many subjects, from many gifted artists and from God's beauty all around us.

I discovered my love for color pencils while taking an illustration class at Pacific NW College of Art in 1983. I was hooked immediately. I explored and experimented using different color pencils and papers over the years, until I discovered Prismacolors and Stonehenge fine art paper. My method of applying color pencil is a slow process of layering various colors on top of one another. Sometimes I will use a blender marker or pencil to blend the colors together and I like to use the impressed line technique to create whispy hairs, whiskers and other fine light details. I also sometimes,  like to combine Prismas with other color pencils brands such as Derwent Coloursofts, or with charcoal, graphite, watercolor pencil, and/or acrylics.

Presently, I am working on three series. The first is an emotional series. In this series,  I  am conveying and capturing different emotions of people, in different situations. The second is a miniature angel series. In this series, I want to convey what angels represent to me - Hope, Faith, Love, Grace, Blessings, Messengers, Strength, Joy, Service to the Lord, Protection, and Comfort. The last series is a Fairytale series. I just began this series, and plan on portraying my own version of some of the classic Grimm Brothers stories and Disney versions.


I have a little bit more to add, but I am nearly finished.
One thing I have learned is, it's important to update your Artist's Statement. You want it to show current works or exhibitions. It's also great to send it along with slides when approaching galleries and post it up on your website. I plan on putting my statement up on my site,  as soon as I get it finished.
Hope you all have  a great Mother's Day Weekend!