Saturday, April 17, 2010

A Struggling Artist Introductory

So, what is thiis blog all about? If I had to sum it up in a few sentences, it's about the disappointments and successes, in trying to make it as an artist, in today's ever changing economy. It's about sharing information, tips, ideas, sites, techniques, and  discover ways to help out other struggling artists.  It's about my journey on becoming the successful artist of my dreams and to help other artists achieve their dreams too.

I am literally what one would call the "Struggling Starving Artist". We basically live from paycheck to paycheck, which doesn't leave me a whole lot to buy art supplies or to enter many exhibitions or contests. Why?  I quit my part-time job a little over 2 years ago, to help care for my dad, who was dying from cancer. I decided, after he passed away,  I really wanted to try to make a go with my art full-time,  plus the kids, and health reasons were really preventing me from wanting to go back to elderly care/housekeeping profession. I am happy with my decision, as I get to be a stay-at-home mom, plus I get to work on my artwork, when I want to. 

So my journey began. It started off pretty good, as my friend, Jillian Crider,  introduced me to ACEOs (Art Cards, Editions and Originals). I sold quite a few on ebay, but then the economy started to tank and I started having a hard time selling anything on ebay or etsy.  The economy has improved some,  but I am still struggling to sell any works. So I am thinking 1) I need to improve more on my marketing skills 2)I need to improve my skills as an artist and 3) I need to discover that unique niche that most well known artists have, that could launch my art career. My passion is my art, and my expertise is color pencil. It's finding that special niche and concentrating on sticking with and creating 1 to 3 genres and targeting specific audiences. So my journey continues....

I just created a poll at my Deviant Art Page "What do you want to see me draw/paint more of?" If you are on DA please stop on by and vote
http://mooresart.deviantart.com/journal/poll/1154487/ 


Faith

 I created this piece just before my dad passed away in December 2007. When I created Faith, I poured my heart and soul into it, literally cried tears while working on it. It never won any competitions, but this piece reminds me to never give up, to always have faith and hope.




2 comments:

  1. It's a beautiful piece,. I only wish I had money to buy it. Very powerful feelings. Keep entering it. :) your dA friend patty

    ReplyDelete